The History of the Svensk-Pechersk Icon of the Mother of God

The Svensk-Pechersk Icon of the Mother of God was written by the Monk Alypii of Pechersk (+ c. 1114, Comm. 17 August, under which see the account about him). On the icon is depicted the Mother of God, sitting upon a throne, and upon Her knees is the God-Infant. At the right side of the throne stands the Monk Theodosii, and on the left – the Monk Antonii of Pechersk. Until the year 1288 it was situated at the Kievo-Pechersk monastery, where it was glorified by miracles, and in 1288 it was transferred to the Bryansk Svensk monastery, named in honour of the Uspenie (Dormition) of the MostHoly Mother of God, in accord with the image. The Chernigov prince Roman Mikhailovich, then at Bryansk, fell blind. Hearing about the miracles worked by the icon of the Monk Alypii, the prince sent to the monastery a courier with a request to send him at Bryansk the icon for his healing. They dispatched the icon together with a priest along the River Desna.
During the time of sailing the boat came in to land at the right bank of the River Svena. After lodging for the night they went to the boat to make prayers before the icon, but they did not find it there, and they saw it upon an hill opposite the River Svena. The icon stood on an oak amidst the branches. News of this reached prince Roman, and they led him to the icon on foot. The prince prayed fervently before the icon and vowed to build on that spot a monastery, bestowing on it all the land which could be seen from the hill. After the prayer the prince regained his sight. At first he saw the footpath, then nearby objects, and finally all the surroundings. Having made an enclosure for the icon, the prince had a molieben served, and then all that were gathered made the foundations for a wooden church in honour of the Uspenie of the MostHoly Mother of God. The tree, on which the icon set, they cut up and used as wood for other icons. And then was established a feastday of the Svensk Icon of the Mother of God on 3 May.
The icon was glorified by healings of the blind, demoniacs, and was a protector from enemies.
Avatar photo

About the author

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Know everything about Orthodoxy? We can tell you a bit more!

Subscribe for our weekly newsletter not to miss the most interesting articles on our blog.

Spelling error report

The following text will be sent to our editors: